As the Weather Cools Down, Don’t Let Your Fireplace Cause an Accidental Fire!
The cold weather is slowly settling in to our area. As temperatures drop, it may be time to start up the fire place. Your children may enjoy sitting in front of the fire on crisp cold nights and sharing fun stories. Your fire place may also be a central meeting area for guests and family members. Whatever the case may be, it is important to put safety first, or problems could ensue. The last thing you want to happen is damage to your home due to an accidental house fire.
Whether you have a wood, metal, or another type of stove, you should be aware of the potential accidents that could occur. This is especially true if the fire place is the primary source for heat in the house. Here are some tips that can help you and your family take the proper precautions for protection:
- Before you light the first fire of the season, make sure your chimney has been inspected. This should be done by a certified specialist so no one gets hurt.
- Never burn other materials in the fire place besides seasoned hardwood. Putting cardboard, paper, or flammable liquids in there is not a good idea.
- Keep the front area of the fireplace clean by removing all flammable items surrounding it. Have your family help you keep this space organized and clear of debris.
- Stack the firewood you use for the stove at least 30 feet away from your home. This is for safety so if a fire were to start, more damage will not occur.
- Every year, make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are functioning correctly.
At Mancuso-Nowak Insurance Agency, we hope these fireplace safety tips help you make it through the fall and winter with no fire problems. If a fire does grow out of control, immediately contact your local fire department. In addition, having the right level of home insurance can help protect you from financial loss when the unexpected occurs. The goal of our team is to make sure that Massachusetts residents understand their insurance options. Our dedication to your needs makes us different than the rest!