Now that vaccines are readily available and the Covid numbers are declining, a lot of us are planning vacations! It will feel great to get away for a break. Brushing up on home safety tips to deter burglars will help you vacation with peace of mind. Here are some things you can do to your house before leaving:
- Take a walk around your property, can you see any valuables from a distance? Expensive electronics, jewelry or artwork? Put them away.
- Check for overgrown bushes near your house, these are good places for burglars to hide
- Check the locks on all doors and windows
- Lock your door from your garage to your house
- Secure sliding glass doors with a door stopper, like a metal rod or piece of wood in the door track
- Don’t leave clues that you aren’t home: uncollected mail, trash barrels at the end of your driveway, unmowed lawn. A trusted neighbor or friend can collect these things for you or you can hold your mail at the post office. If you are away for more than a week arrange to have your lawn mowed.
- Keep your house well lit, use timers on lights. If you have a Nest (or similar products) turn on lights at different times of the night
- If you have the ability turn on radios or tvs remotely, do so at random times
- Leave your blinds as they are when you are home. Drawn blinds can be an alert that you aren’t home and they conceal if someone goes in.
A secure home, will let you vacation freely! If you have any questions about your homeowners policy and your coverage call us: www.mancuso-nowak.com.