Over the past few years the popularity of deep frying the turkey for Thanksgiving has rapidly increased. It is an absolutely delicious way to cook the bird, but probably the most dangerous. If your Thanksgiving wouldn’t be complete without a deep fried turkey an oil free or electric deep fryer is a safer alternative to the conventional deep fryer. According to the National Fire Protection Association every year deep frying turkey accidents have accounted for 5 deaths, 60 injuries, 900 homes destroyed and over $15M in structural damage.
However some people love their outdoor deep fryer, here are some safety tips if you are using one of these:
- Always read the manufacturers instructions first
- Keep the deep fryer away from your house, never use it in the garage!
- Make sure your turkey is completely thawed. If frozen, the turkey has too much moisture and hot oil and water don’t mix
- Don’t fill the vat of oil too high, oil spilling over is the number one cause of fire
- Don’t let the oil get too hot, it can just ignite if it reaches a temp that it too high
- Never put out an oil fire with water! Use a chemical fire extinguisher
- Always have your fire extinguisher close by.
Here is a great fried turkey recipe that turns out crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside.
Make sure your home insurance policy is current, paid and insured to adequate value based on current replacement cost! Call us with any questions on your policy: www.mancuso-nowak.com.