Halloween can be a scary time of year, but don’t let your home turn in to a horror show! We are talking about protecting your home from two of the most common homeowners claims during Halloween: fire and trip and fall. Accidents from knocked over candles can turn alarming quickly.
To prevent fire accidents:
- Avoid any open flames!
- Use flashlights or battery powered lights to give your jack-o-lantern or decorations an eerie glow
- Inside and outside only use lights that have been tested by a reputable fire safety agency
Trip and fall claims can be numerous and scary on this spooky holiday. Kids are wearing masks and costumes that are bulky and sometimes hard to walk in.
Here are a few simple steps to help prevent slip and fall accidents:
- Install railings on you stairs (with most insurance companies this is a must or you will not be covered)
- Keep your house and steps well lit for the trick or treaters
- Properly light outside walkways
- Keep cords and decorations close to the wall and out of the way
- Clean up spills immediately…kids are pretty tricky with where they drop things, so be mindful of your walkways
- Fix all broken steps: outside and inside (make sure stair rugs are properly secured)
- And if applicable, properly shovel and use a non-slip ice melt
It is always a good idea to have an umbrella policy also. Our motto: You don’t need to be a millionaire to be sued for a million dollars! A $1M umbrella policy is an inexpensive way to give you that extra protection in case you have a slip and fall accident on your property and are sued. Call us for details www.mancuso-nowak.com. Have a happy and safe Halloween!