April is a busy month preparing our yards for the spring and summer weather, repairing our house and spring cleaning. What about our cars that take us everywhere we go? We rely on their dependability, but are we doing our job to make sure they are running properly? We take it for granted that our cars will transport us safely to our destination. Here are a few things we can do to help maintain our cars:
- Check & change your oil. Changing your oil allows your the internal parts of your engine to be protected, especially in the hot summer months.
- During your oil change ask the technician to inspect the breaking system and all belts and hoses.
- Check your coolant. Coolant helps your engine not to overheat, which can cause engine failure.
- Check power steering fluid, transmission fluid, and brake fluid.
- Windshield washer fluid should be topped off.
- Check the tire pressure in all tires, including the spare tire.
- Have your tires rotated, so they wear evenly.
- Have your battery tested if it is older than 3 yrs.
- Check to see if air filters need to be replaced. Dirt can do a lot of damage to the engine.
- Check wiper blades and replace once a year.
- Check all interior and exterior lights (double check those reverse lights and directionals).
Many costly repairs can be avoided by properly maintaining your car. For Care Care Month take the few extra minutes to extend the life of your car. Happy Driving!