What is the Difference Between Comprehensive and Collision Insurance?

You know you have auto insurance, but what do all the different coverages on the policy mean?  And are some of these coverages necessary?  Let’s look at Comprehensive and Collision, specifically.  Both Comprehensive and Collision cover damage to your own car.  Comprehensive covers damage to your car if it is stolen, damaged by weather-related events, fire, vandalism.  Many consider it “other than collision” coverage.  The coverage that helps pay for your car when it is damaged not in an accident. Collision insurance covers your car if you are in an accident with another car, a building, or object like a fence, or in a single car accident.

Comprehensive: theft, fire, vandalism, falling objects (hail, a tree), damage by animals.  Also, includes glass coverage.  Usually required if you are leasing or financing a vehicle, not required if you own your car.  Kept on when your vehicle is in storage or not being driven for a season.

Collision:  accident with another vehicle, accidents with an object (fence, building), single car accidents.  Usually required if you are leasing or financing a vehicle, not required if you own your car.  Can be removed for a season or while in storage and not being driven.

When do you no longer need to keep Comprehensive and Collision on your policy?  Check out the Kelly Blue Book value of your vehicle.  Take how much you pay for Comprehensive and multiply by 10.  If the value of your car is less the price you pay for the coverage then you probably don’t need it.  You can do the same for Collision.  It is a good idea to call us to discuss taking either of these coverages off your policy.  We want to make sure you have adequate coverage.



©2024 Mancuso-Nowak Insurance | Privacy Policy | 252 Boston Turnpike Shrewsbury, MA 01545
p: 508.756.4310 | f: 508.752.6712 | e: service@mancuso-nowak.com
Hours: Mon - Thurs 8:30am - 4:30pm; Fri 8:30am - 4:00pm; Sat & Sun Closed